Curls are fun! They make you look sexy, young and wild! But I didn’t always thought of my curls that way. Frizzy, fluffy and all over the place, that’s how I used to see my self in the mirror. I didn’t use any products in my hair. Conditioner who? And I’ve never heard of a diffuser. My mother doesn’t have curly hair and didn’t know how to handle mine. She simply brushed my curls and prayed! Until couple of years later, I started to realize that having curls isn’t so bad after all. As a hairstylist I’ve started to learn more about curly hair. How to handle them and how to take care of them the right way! Today I’m sharing my favorite tips with you: How to make your curls look beautiful and to keep them beautiful up to 3 days! YAASS!
- Always use a satin pillowcase. Satin pillowcases are very smooth which allows the hair to slide. This means that your hair won’t get tangled up while sleeping on them causing damaged and frizz. Another good reason to use a satin pillowcase is that they do not suck out all of the natural moisture that your hair has. Cotton pillowcases strip this moisture from your hair making it brittle and dry because Cotton is an absorbent fiber. (although that could be a benefit for those who drool in their sleep lol)
- A shower cap is a must have. Fighting frizz? Put a shower cap on. It doesn’t matter how short you’ll be under the shower if you have curls you need to hide them. The steam from the shower is not your best friend when having curly hair. So tuck all your hair to protect your beautiful locks.
- Drinking plenty of water will help your skin but also your hair to stay hydrated. It does make sense right? Curly hair is naturally dry and can use a lot of moist. Since our hair grows on the inside of our head, it gets all the vitamins and minerals from inside our bodies. All the treatment you use on you hair is great but helping the hair that hasn’t grown out yet will make a huge different once it grows out of our head. Now go and grab your self a bottle of water!
- I always put my hair up before going to bed (see picture above) Sleeping on your hair will damaged your hair badly. When we sleep we turn or heads all the time, rubbing the hair against the pillow. This will cause serious breakage, frizz and damage to the hair. So I put my hair up in a ponytail towards my forehead. Don’t tie the hair elastic too tightly around the hair. This also can cause a lot of damage. Side note: this is good for all hair types. Never go to bed with your hair down!Other great tips you might consider trying:
- Use a cotton t-shirt to dry your hair
- Use a diffuser to blow dry
- Minimize use of heat
- Keep your hands off your curls
- Coconut treatment once a week
- Keep your hair moisturized at all times
- A trim every 8 – 10 weeks will keep you hair perfect in shape
- Avoid harsh chemicals like alcohol or chloride in pools
- Avoid washing your hair with hot water
- Never rub your hair when using a towel or a t-shirt. squeeeeeezzzzzzee!
Keep these tips in mind and let them guide you to a better, healthy hair and a new start. Below I’ve included all the products that I have mentioned above!